C5W4A1: Syntax Error

I’ve got a syntax error in full decoder part
Plz help !!

1 Like

Haven’t we just been through this? It’s the same issue here: you must have a missing close parenthesis on the previous line. As I mentioned on the thread yesterday, the notebook editor is syntax aware: just click on a paren and it will show you the matching one. Or not. :scream_cat: Doesn’t that sound familiar?

1 Like

Slipped my mind though :sweat_smile: Anyways thanks for the heads up!! cheers!

1 Like

Well, it’s your choice how you spend your time, but my observation in general is that “saving time” by not being bothered by this type of detail ends up wasting far more time than it “saves”.

1 Like

Wt to do now ?

1 Like

The error message is about as clear as you can hope for: so where is dec_output defined? Is it in a previous code cell that perhaps has not yet been run? Or did it throw an error or is the variable name misspelled? Lots of things to check.

1 Like

Rather than posting a new message every time you have an issue, I recommend you spend some quality time debugging your code first.

3 Likes

Exactly. The high level point is that debugging is part of the job. If the code doesn’t work, what’s the point? When you graduate from this course, you won’t have Tom and Raymond and Saif and Kic around to do your debugging for you, so you need to have strengthened your own skills in this area. It’s just like exercise: the muscles get stronger when you really use them. :nerd_face:

3 Likes