Chat function with mentors needed

Hi there,

I need individualised help and a chat function with a mentor would be great. Is this possible DeepLearning? I find wading through confusing forums challenging when I have questions that my not be specific enough.

An example, # print the y train in the Practice Lab: Linear Regression - this i understand 17.592 represents $175,920 in average monthly profits for that city but this I don’t * -2.6807 represents -$26,807 in average monthly loss for that city. because it’s not in Type of y_train: <class ‘numpy.ndarray’>
First five elements of y_train are:
[17.592 9.1302 13.662 11.854 6.8233]

I really need to chat with a mentor. This throws me and it’s not even the exercise. I don’t really find forums effective for my learning. I will be stuck here for days.

Thanks,

Sorry, but we don’t offer a live chat or individual instruction.

We are happy to answer questions and give advice, if you post on the forum.

I’ll check the data in that lab and reply with some words about the values.

1 Like

If you look at all of the y_train data, you’ll find that -2.6807 is the 74th element in y_train.
It’s just not one of the first five values.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying that. I didn’t know that one can look at the y_train data and see more than the first five values.

I can’t recommend enough having a chat function. Forums are hard to navigate unless you use them all the time. Hopefully deeplearning sees this and adds the feature.

I appreciate your response. Thank you.

A chat function would require that someone be on-duty 24/7 to answer questions.
Since all of the mentors are volunteers, that seems unlikely to be feasible.

I did not realise that you don’t get paid to be a mentor. I would still advocate for a chat function though, if any mentors happen to be online they could make themselves available to chat with if they wanted to. We would see it available only if the mentor had logged in to a chat option. Other mentors that don’t want to do this don’t have to. It’s their choice and they don’t have to be available 24/7. If there are no mentors, then there’s no mentors.

I’ve said before, I find navigating forums a black hole for time. I often don’t know what the question exactly is that I needs to asked and searching through posts when you don’t know is a waste of time and frustrating. When you get a message back a few hours later or even days/weeks later, that moment of learning has well passed. I’m probably in transit or cooking/eating. I’m surprised the chat bot, isn’t more advanced considering this is a course about machine learning. Speaking with someone will always trump a bot. For now. Maybe that will change in the future.

When coursea look at drop out rates etc, it’s not because people don’t want to complete the course. It’s being able to access the support you need when you need it. Things like having to enrol for each course are also weird. Just having to go through the process again might be enough for someone to drop out. Especially as life stuff is happening always. These hurdles are unnecessary. And probably cheaply fixed.

Thanks for you reply though.