How can I increase my chances of getting into a a Master's program in a university that does cool research?

I have a Bachelor’s in Electronics with a 8.2 GPA from India. I have a year of experience as a Frontend Engineer.

I’m going to pursue a Master’s in Machine Learning in the USA. I’ve heard that connections with professors at universities and research is important and I have neither.

Are these necessary?

I’m working on projects and I’m going to start blogging.

Are there other ways to make my portfolio better?

2 Likes

Hey,
Working on research projects and having recommendations from professors do increase your chances of getting into a good university
But I won’t deny the fact that even work experience and recommendations from industry works
Do you have an inclination towards research?
If yes I recommended you to take some projects under professors. If not work experience is great for your application as well
Hope this helps
Regards,
Mayank Ghogale

2 Likes

Thank you Mayank!

I have started work on a research problem. For now my only goal is to reproduce a paper. Once I’m done with that then I’ll work on improving it in someway. At what stage of my work is it advisable to reach out to a professor (known or unknown)?

1 Like

I would say as you already have experience with work and also a degree with you…you can approach professors for internships (virtual or in place both options are open…virtual works best for me)
I being an undergraduate student do it…you very well can start sir
Hope this helps

1 Like

Hi @13point5 !

Since you plan to apply for graduate school in the US, I recommend browsing some valuable Reddit posts. :smile:

I have learned a lot previously by reading & learning some valuable experiences from other applicants on Reddit.

For instance, one link is: https://www.reddit.com/r/gradadmissions/

And always feel free to search for other graduate schools’ more specific topics on Reddit!

Thanks, I hope this helps and good luck with your application!