Need help with Matplotlib style sheets

Hi :wave:,
I was going through the matplotlib stylesheet, deep learning_mplstyle, and I encountered a few parameters that I didn’t quite understand even after reading the matplotlib docs. Can anyone help me with these parameters?

1. patch.edgecolor
  2. patch.linewidth
    (generally I didn’t understand what is a patch)

Hi @Abhinav_M_Hari

This link gives a detailed explanation of patch library functions.

1 Like

Hi @Abhinav_M_Hari

In Matplotlib, a patch is a 2D artist that can be drawn onto a canvas. It can be used to represent geometric shapes such as circles, rectangles, polygons, and more. The patch object in Matplotlib has several properties that can be used to control the appearance of the patch when it is drawn on the canvas.

patch.edgecolor: This property controls the color of the edges of the patch. It can be set to any valid color value, such as a string (e.g. ‘blue’), a tuple of RGB values (e.g. (0, 0, 1) for blue), or a special color string like ‘none’ to make the edges invisible.

patch.linewidth: This property controls the width of the lines used to draw the edges of the patch. It is a float value in points (1 point is 1/72 of an inch). Higher values will result in thicker lines, while lower values will result in thinner lines.

patch is also used to represent the color of the patch, it’s an object that can be used to set the color of the patch, it can be any valid color value, such as a string (e.g. ‘blue’), a tuple of RGB values (e.g. (0, 0, 1) for blue), or a special color string like ‘none’ to make the patch invisible.

In the context of deep learning_mplstyle, the parameters you mention are used to customize the look and feel of the plots generated by the style sheet, and you can adjust them to your preference.

Regards:

Muhammad John Abbas