Unable to open lab with error msg "Not enough memory ..."

Hi, Per the above subject. Last week I connected with the chat support; we tried the suggestions listed in Jul 2022 “Unable to open lab/Unable to retrieve …” but the suggestions didn’t work. I was told that the Engineering team was working on it and to check back a few days later.

I tried again today but the same lab still wouldn’t load. I want to download the file as I was told 3 days ago that I only have access to course videos, readings etc. until today; I finished the Specialization last week.

Thanks.

Hello @Kel_C2,

This place does not have technical support, so we won’t be able to solve it for you. However, based on the info. you have given to us here, I see two actionables:

1. It said “Not enough memory”. Perhaps to try closing all other browser tabs and programs as suggested there? Or try to open the lab on your mobile phone’s browser, or any other device’s browser?

2. I think your goal was to backup the labs, but you need to do so before subscription ends. If it will expire soon, I suggest you to tell the coursera’s staff your situation, and ask them for an extension of subscription, so that you have some more time to figure it out. I have heard that, once your subscription expires, your lab progress might not be kept. If none of the suggestions in (1) works, you might need to buy more time.

Raymond

Hi Raymond,

Thank you for your prompt response.

1/ Good suggestion! I’ll try to open that particular lab (“lab A”) on my mobile phone’s browser; however subscription ended yesterday. The other labs I tried to open last week were all okay. The reason could be due to the code I put in “lab A” instead of using the “hint”; my code didn’t use the suggested function/library so “lab A” could be using a fair bit of cpu time. This is why i tried to comment out my own code but it couldn’t be opened.

2/ This’s my first Coursera course. I’ve just finished the ML specialization. It still looks like a maze to me. Some of the downloaded .ipynb files wouldn’t run on my JupyterLab.

3/ It seems that the online chat support is gone in my unsubscribed ML Specialization course. There are a few optional labs which I didn’t have time to finish them. Would you know where should I contact to buy more time? Can I phone Coursera instead of online chat or email?

Best,
Kel
p.s. I was told by Coursera support last week that the “Not enough memory” problem was known to them, and Engineering team was working on a fix. I wasn’t given a log number for my call though.

Hello @Kel_C2,

Usually we backup the labs and their supporting python scripts while the subscription is valid… Now that your subscription has ended, you might no longer be able to open any lab. You might try, but don’t be surprised if it said the lab is locked.

I was thinking that if your subscription was still valid, then perhaps you could ask them to extend it a little bit so that at least you can backup your lab files. You might still try, but I am not sure if they could do that.

There is no phone option on this contact page, but besides chat, there is a contact form.

Raymond

Hi Raymond,

Thank you for your email.

a) Fyi: After several back and forth emails (from different Support staff so little continuity), I received something like “…we have reset the deadlines of the courses for them to be unlocked and for you to retake the exams.”. I did NOT ask for an exam retake.

b) I have been trying to figure out which course I should take next after i completed the MLS last week. I’m having a second thought now. The labs are good. We can learn a lot of hands-on stuff from reading thru’ and trying our own coding in the labs; some of the code examples are very elegant.

Best,
Kelvin

Hello @Kel_C2,

Best of lucks to your next courses!! Perhaps we might see each other again in another course of this community.

Cheers,
Raymond

Hi Raymond,

Thank you for your help. It’s appreciated.

Best,
Kelvin