Ungraded Lab 1 Step 2d: Why transpose before concat?

# Step 2d
    rotated_vecs = np.transpose(rotated_vecs, (1, 0, 2))
    if verbose:
        print("rotated_vecs3", rotated_vecs.shape)

Anyone understand why this transpose, i.e. swapping axis0 and axis1 is required prior to concat? In the next step, we’re anyway concatenating only over axis2:

# Step 3
    rotated_vecs = np.concatenate((rotated_vecs, -rotated_vecs), axis=2)

Hi @Rajiv_Bharadwaja

The Step 2d is needed for the else statement to be equivalent with 'tf,fhb->htb' (check this post).

While the Step 3 is just concatenating the rotated_vecs with the same but opposite sign values (see the same linked post).

In other words, the 2a, 2b, 2c and 2d steps are the implementation of the 'tf,fhb->htb' matrix multiplication and Step 3 concatenation on the “irrelevant” axis is logical and in no way in odds with the previous steps.

I hope that makes sense :slight_smile:

Perhaps my lack of familiarity with the tf,fhb->htb matrix multiplication is the obstacle here then. Thanks for the response.

Ok, here is the whole thing in one picture:

Cheers

1 Like

Explains it well; thanks a bunch @arvyzukai ! My earlier point was that if you look at what is happening in 2d, one might be able to concatenate without the transpose and end up with a (8,3,4) shape in Step 3.

1 Like

Yes, but you need (3, 8, 4), so you would have to transpose after step 3 then :slight_smile:

I believe one could technically adjust upstream steps to work with (8,3,4). However, I think I now get the mental convenience of having it as (3,8,4). Basically, “n_hashes count of (seq_len, rot_size) matrices” is easier to think and reason about than "seq_len count of (n_hashes , rot_size) matrices.