C2W2 Quiz -- Use the paper referenced in the programming assignment

Hey,

There were two readings in the course and a paper noted in the programming assignment that defined terms in questions on the quiz.

The definitions differ between the readings/papers such that only using the three terms defined in the programming assignment paper are the correct definitions needed for the quiz.

The link from the assignment is: http://m-mitchell.com/papers/Adversarial_Bias_Mitigation.pdf

Good luck!

Hi @jswatdlai,
Sorry for the late reply. Are you talking about the first few questions in the “Analyzing Bias” quiz, where each of these questions identifies a measure of fairness, describes what the term means, and then asks a question about an example of that measure of fairness?

In general, quiz questions tend to focus on the preceding videos. In this case, the “Defining Fairness” video gives specific descriptions of a couple of the measures of fairness in the quiz, but it also mentions that there are many different definitions of fairness and that different research papers rely on different definitions (as it sounds like you noticed).

I think this is why the quiz questions were written the way they were - giving a name of a measure of fairness, along with an explanation of what that measure means, so that use that explanation for the context of the quiz question. This lets you concentrate on the example, and thinking through how the example would work, so you can be focusing more on seeing how each of these approaches is a way to measure fairness, rather than focusing on memorizing a bunch of names of fairness techniques.

Actually, the video lectures presentation of the 3 definitions were not the correct answers to the quizzes. When I realized the various sources had different definitions, I figured out that the paper referenced in the lectures that I linked to above actually defined the terms that were correct in the quiz. Not a real problem…I just wanted to understand the ideas (which, of course, aren’t really set in stone=).

Ah, I just took a look at the definitions in the document you referenced.
Thank you for pointing that out. Those definitions could be useful for anyone who wants a more rigorous definition than what’s explained briefly in the quiz questions.

But, I’m curious about your comment that the definitions in the video lecture would not give the correct answer for the quiz questions. At least for the two measures she specifically names, demographic parity and equality of odds, her definition seems consistent with the definition in the quiz questions. What am I missing? Can you explain a little more about what is inconsistent and leads to a wrong answer?