C3W2 Data Storage and Queries: Practice Lab: Simple Data Lake with AWS Glue

Description:

I’m working through the Week 2 Lab: Simple Data Lake with AWS Glue (Exercise 1), and I’m getting a ValueError when calling read_data_sample() to load the reviews sample dataset from S3.

Error:

ValueError: Invalid endpoint: https://s3..amazonaws.com

Note the double dot in s3..amazonaws.com — this suggests the region is empty when boto3 builds the endpoint URL.

What I’ve checked so far:

  • AWS_ACCOUNT_ID populates correctly via the aws sts get-caller-identity call, so basic AWS CLI credentials appear to be present.
  • Running !aws configure get region returns nothing (empty output, no error).
  • Running !echo $AWS_DEFAULT_REGION also returns nothing.

This suggests no default region is configured in this lab environment for either the AWS CLI or boto3, which causes boto3.client('s3') to fail when no region is explicitly passed.

As far as it goes, all Labs for this Specialization are currently offline on Coursera due to the team’s work on them.

Hi! That’s unfortunate. Could you please give us an ETA?

I’m facing the error of “empty aws console link”. I’ve requested a lab refresh through a Google Form (described here Issue with lab - #2 by benjamintabaresjr ). Is this link still up and running?

There’s no ETA at the moment, but the staff is aware and working actively to fix this.

Still down for maintenance.

@hawraa.salami Any updates on this? ETA on the maintenance. Thank you!

Please monitor this thread for updates on the course maintenance: