I’m currently learning PyTorch through the Coursera PyTorch Professional Certificate/Specialization. I understand the main concepts such as Dataset, DataLoader, transforms, augmentation, train/validation/test splitting, and CNN training.
However, some of the lab implementations are extremely long and complex. For example, one lab builds a RobustFlowerDataset with image verification, error handling, retry logic, logging, helper functions, label processing, etc.
I can understand what the code is doing when I read it, but after spending a lot of time on it, I still don’t feel I could write the whole pipeline from scratch myself.
This made me wonder:
Is this normal when learning PyTorch?
When building my own projects, can I use a much simpler pipeline such as:
Dataset/DataLoader → transforms → augmentation → model → training → evaluation
and gradually learn production-level data handling later?
For these Coursera labs, should my goal be to understand the concepts and be able to read/modify the code, rather than memorize and reproduce every large helper function from scratch?
I’d especially appreciate answers from people who have gone from learning PyTorch to actually building real ML projects. How much of this production-style code do you normally write yourself versus using existing PyTorch/torchvision utilities or simpler custom code?