[Week 1] Can some explain each choice in this question?

Can some explain each choice in this question? Thank you!

I’m not sure how to explain this but let me share you some hints.

• Try write down the formula on paper and replace Γr, Γu with the constant 0, 1 in each choice and see the the final formula.
  • Is the Varnishing Gradient Problems likely to occur with the final formula ? Try lookup again on the definition of this problem. hint: especially C(t), C(t-1) part

For gate_u, I think if gate_u is 1 then it means we do not remember the value from the previous time. If gate_u is 0 then it means we will remember the value from the previous time.

I don’t quite understand the purpose of gate_r. Could you explain it a little bit further? Thank you.

• gate_u/update gate/Γu is the gate that tell amount of information from c(~t) that we want to use.
  • gate_r/reset gate/Γr is the gate that tell amount of information from the c(t-1) we want to ignore.
  • Γ 0, Γ 1 in the choice mean that Γ value is approximately close to that 0 or 1. removing value setting is equal assigning 1 to it automatically.
  • If gate_u is 1, it means that we want all information to be remembered and use, if gate_u is 0 it means that , in candidate memory cell c(~t), there is no information that we want to use. See Γu * c(~t) in c(t) equation , if Γu ≈ 1, it means that c(t) will use almost all information from c(~t).
  • If gate_r is 0 it means that we want to ignore all information from previous memory cell c(t-1) and if it’s 1, it means that there’s no information that we want to ignore. See Γr * c(t-1) in the c(~t) equation, if Γr ≈ 0, it means that we will use a very tiny part of value of c(t-1) .
1 Like