Wrong values for loglikelihood dictionary

Hi - having trouble with week 2:

Code below:

{moderator edit - solution code removed}

Wrong values for loglikelihood dictionary. Please check your implementation for the loglikelihood dictionary.
Wrong values for loglikelihood dictionary. Please check your implementation for the loglikelihood dictionary.
12 Tests passed
3 Tests failed

2 Likes

Youā€™ve made what is probably the most common mistake on this function. When you count the positive and negative frequencies, you simply add 1 for each occurrence of a given word. What was intended was that you would add the actual frequency from the freqs dictionary for that.

23 Likes

Thanks for the reply, paulinpaloalto (or perhaps Paul for short)!

It took me a few minutes to figure out what you meant, and finally I got it. Posting here for anyone else who canā€™t quite figure it out:

N_pos isnā€™t the total positive words; itā€™s the total frequency for all positive words.

The key realization for me was that my total probability for p_w_pos was adding up to way more than 1, meaning my N_pos was too low.

5 Likes

Had the same problem as ad-1. Therefore I printed out the failed_cases list of the graderā€¦and it found agreement in the numbers of all three tests (all are 9165 (see below). Despite of this, it still reported three failed tests:

12 Tests passed
3 Tests failed
[{ā€˜nameā€™: ā€˜default_checkā€™, ā€˜expectedā€™: 9165, ā€˜gotā€™: 9165}, {ā€˜nameā€™: ā€˜smaller_checkā€™, ā€˜expectedā€™: 9165, ā€˜gotā€™: 9165}, {ā€˜nameā€™: ā€˜smaller_unbalanced_checkā€™, ā€˜expectedā€™: 9165, ā€˜gotā€™: 9165}]

Some tests have a pretty low bar for passage. Just because your output has the right shape is only step one. Just to make sure Iā€™m understanding what youā€™re saying: did you find the solution based on the comments earlier on the thread? Or are you still working on it?

Thank you for you reply

Hi, Paul!
Maybe you can help me with practically the same issue. The grader gives me :
Failed default_check. Expected: 9165, but got: 9165.

Failed smaller_check. Expected: 9165, but got: 9165.

Failed smaller_unbalanced_check. Expected: 9165, but got: 9165.

But I canā€™t understand why. My code:

{moderator edit - solution code removed}

Thanks in advance!

The code you show looks correct as far as I can see so far. Maybe Iā€™m missing something. But I think maybe the error messages are not showing you the real values that it is unhappy about. Hereā€™s another thing to try:

I added this code at the end of the last ā€œforā€ loop to check my results for one particular word:

if word == 'smile':
       print(f"freq_pos for smile = {freq_pos}")
       print(f"freq_neg for smile = {freq_neg}")
       print(f"loglikelihood for smile = {loglikelihood[word]}")

Hereā€™s what I get when I run the test cells in the notebook with that in place (and a couple other print statements):

V: 9165, V_pos: 0, V_neg: 0, D: 8000, D_pos: 4000, D_neg: 4000, N_pos: 27547, N_neg: 27152
freq_pos for smile = 47
freq_neg for smile = 9
loglikelihood for smile = 1.5577981920239676
V: 9165, V_pos: 0, V_neg: 0, D: 8000, D_pos: 4000, D_neg: 4000, N_pos: 27547, N_neg: 27152
freq_pos for smile = 47
freq_neg for smile = 9
V: 9165, V_pos: 0, V_neg: 0, D: 20, D_pos: 10, D_neg: 10, N_pos: 27547, N_neg: 27152
freq_pos for smile = 47
freq_neg for smile = 9
V: 9165, V_pos: 0, V_neg: 0, D: 15, D_pos: 10, D_neg: 5, N_pos: 27547, N_neg: 27152
freq_pos for smile = 47
freq_neg for smile = 9
 All tests passed

Paul, thanks for you reply! Iā€™ve found what I did wrong. In the last for-loop I tried to use lookup function instead my previous code and it worked!

I corrected N_pos, N_neg to the total frequency for all positive words but still getting the same error.

What do you get if you try the little ā€œinstrumentationā€ like I did above for ā€œsmileā€?

I assume you were just typing faster than you were thinking and you meant that N_pos is the sum for all positive occurrences and N_neg is the sum for all negative occurrences. Note thatā€™s not what you actually said ā€¦

Iā€™m still not having any luck with this. @paulinpaloalto can I send you my code snippet ?

Sure, please check your DMs (Direct Messages) for a message from me.

Hi!
I have the same problem. Only when i print the word and the loglikehood there are 9168 words (lines), not 9165.

This 3 strange words

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Paulinpaloaltoā€™s answer, about the most common problem, was the solution for my problem. Thanks, @paulinpaloalto

This is a great example of why variable and function names matter. It seems perfectly reasonable to assume that a count of positive examples would be stored in a variable named N_pos or Pos_count or some such. If what you really want to collect is a frequency, then do yourselves and your future maintenance programmers a solid and name the variable accordingly. Your future self and your future project manager thank you in advance.

1 Like

I am also getting the wrong value for the length of loglikelihood . I get 11436 instead of 9165.

Also, when I add the test code:
if word == ā€˜smileā€™:
print(f"freq_pos for smile = {freq_pos}ā€œ)
print(f"freq_neg for smile = {freq_neg}ā€)

After the last for loop, nothing gets printed. These print statements donā€™t get executed at all.

That is the number if you donā€™t construct the vocabulary correctly. You have taken every word from the keys of the freqs dictionary, but you need to reduce those to the unique values. Note that some (but not all) words have both positive and negative counts. Also note that they gave you a nice hint in the instructions for this section about how to get the unique values.

Thanks for the rapid response! I found the error. Working fine. Still donā€™t know why adding the test lines donā€™t print anything for me. talking about this snippet:

if word == ā€˜smileā€™:
print(f"freq_pos for smile = {freq_pos}ā€œ)
print(f"freq_neg for smile = {freq_neg}ā€)

Maybe the contents of word is not what you expect. Is it the whole key value? Thatā€™s a tuple, right? Or maybe the word ā€œsmileā€ ends up not being in your vocab, although I doubt that is the case. Youā€™d fail other tests in that case ā€¦