Hi my name is Kevin from Florida. Tell me about You

I’m new to this course and technology. I’m here to learn and develop new skills that will benefit me or other people.

1 Like

I am Hakeem from Nigeria. I’m a Material Science and Engr grad being self-studying software engineering for 6months now. Really drawn to the world of AI

1 Like

I agree. It’s a cutting-edge technology. My name is Kevin, and I’m from the United States. I live in the state of Florida.
It is nice to meet you, Hakeem. I look forward to hearing from you more and learning more about you. Perhaps as we learn, we can share ideas or approaches to AI.

Kind regards
Kevin Scheetz

1 Like

That’d be amazing Kevin. Looking forward to learning and sharing ideas with you

1 Like

Me too!

1 Like

Hello Hakeem,
How are you? How has your progress been on Open AI? I have only finished the first two modules, but
I hope to finish at least two more by the end of the week. I hope this message finds you well. Kevin Scheetz

1 Like

Great, that’s some progress there. Impressive.

This week, I finished auditing Andrew Ng’s AI for Everyone on Coursera. And made progress on my Python curriculum, learning concepts like Exceptions, python Test-driven dev, classes and object. I revised my C programing knowledge by taking quizzes from VeniCodiVici website.

Do you have a prior programming knowledge, and which language?

1 Like

Hey,
Thank you for your response. Although I don’t have a high level of knowledge, I aim to improve my skills in the future. If you have any tips to share, I’d appreciate it. Are the Python curriculum and VeniCodiVici courses offered on Coursera? I would like to learn more about these programs. Have you completed “AI For Everyone?” I’m only halfway through it. Your expertise is impressive. Do you work in this field? It’s always great to hear from you.

Thank you,
Kevin

1 Like

I don’t work in this field yet infact I’m new to this too. I joined a software engineering bootcamp earlier this year and I’ve been following their curriculum. The bootcamp initially thought me C programing and now teaching me Python.

Yes I finished the AI for Everyone course. It’s actually a short course. My plan is to take all the DeepLearning.ai introductory courses, so my next course will be Mathematics for Machine Learning and Data Science.

Python programming language is said to be the most versatile skill to have in this field, I will advise you learn it as well.

About the VeniCodiVici, it’s just a quiz app that ask questions on programming and doesn’t give any lessons. Maybe I shouldn’t have mentioned it.

That’s sums it, what are you learning today?

1 Like

Good morning, Hakeem,
I was happy to receive your email. Your dedication to learning more about AI and technology is admirable, and I plan to follow a similar path as it appears well-crafted and sensible. I find Artificial Intelligence very fascinating. Although there are pros and cons to consider, it seems that this tool can be highly productive. I want to learn more about technology even though I am not in that field. As a user of the technology, I find benefits in understanding more about how it works. I have always had a passion for mathematics, and the more I learn over the years, the better I can apply it to my work and daily life.
I will also take the “Mathematics for Machine Learning and Data Science” next. As time permits. I would like to take them all. Google has been a leader in this field for years, so who is better to learn from? Even as I type this email, I am given help with spell check and use an A.I. program called Grammarly to improve my writing. So in a sense, it has already made me a better speller and perhaps a more proficient writer. I hope we can continue these interactions as they have made me a better thinker. :grinning: "I have a double bachelor’s in Political Science and Social Behavior which helped me in management and owning my own business."Thanks for mentioning VeniCodiVici. I’ll look into it later to gain personal insight. Once again, thank you for your kind correspondence, and I look forward to more.

Best Regards,
Kevin Scheetz

PS. I thought I should have mentioned earlier that I live in the state of Florida, United States of America. I own a small business that provides goods and services to other small businesses and entrepreneurs. I find working with entrepreneurs the most rewarding aspect of my work, and I continue to do so even though my son now runs the day-to-day operations.

1 Like

Wow. I enjoyed reading your replies too. Like you I have a double major in metallurgical and material science engineering. I graduated a couple of years ago. I decided to port to IT as it’s difficult to grow in the due to our weak manufacturing and R&D sectors.
The options was for me to enroll for Masters in the West or transition to IT. I chose the later. My choice was influenced by M.J Demarco’s Millionaire Fast Lane. Demarco wrote on how entrepreneurship especially IT-inclined ones are the best bet to wealth creation.
My first foray into tech wasn’t as good. I was tryna learn everything hence end up with nothing. I then decided join a bootcamp school and it has been an amazing journey since.
I appreciate that you’re interested in learning about technology. My advice will be to take it simple and progressive and not attempt to take it all head on like I did.
I love Maths too. I suggest we have a kinda session where we can periodically discuss our insights from the Maths for Machine Learning course. What do you think?

AI has been immense and we are still very far from it’s best form. The potential is outrageous. I use Grammarly too amongst a host of other tools.

Glad to know you’re an entrepreneur already, I bet you’re already looking at some of your workflow/business routines you can automate with AI and technology.

Yes you mentioned you’re in Florida, I don’t really know much about places in USA except for a few (thanks to Hollywood and elementary geography :grin:). I can’t really picture anything about Florida

1 Like

Great to hear from you Hakeem,
It’s always a pleasure to hear from you and benefit from your expertise. I have found them refreshing and insightful.
I always find your suggestions and expertise helpful to you. Thank you for your thoughts on my periodic progress in furthering my education and research, as I am no longer seeking degrees but the actual improvement to what I have already learned. I agree 100%, as that is my intention. It is always nice to get an unbiased opinion to reinforce my thoughts. I am not really interested in more degrees at this point in my life. I prefer to address the current challenges as they relate to work-specific and personal efficiencies. I see how using AI in workflow would have a major impact on profitability. Our third-party vendor versus consumer demand can be challenging. We are not a sessional business but rather more affected by the economic climate. The current college graduates here in the U.S. appear to be more entrepreneurial. Is that your ultimate goal, or are you more interested in contributing to the corporate community? Both are great areas to help you decide your own path, as they did for me. Since the course “AI for everyone,” I have reconsidered many things—for for example, the approaches involving structural data and predictive data.
As you mentioned, mathematics is a passion of mine. I was reminded how frequently I use programs like Excel and other tools already provided by companies such as Microsoft and Google. You are correct, without much exception. :grinning:
However, I do want to share some thoughts about Florida, as I love it here. I have lived here almost my entire life as this is where I was born and raised. Florida is soured by the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico. It is a beautiful place to live and work. I have attached a link to Pinterest to illustrate what many here take for granted. However, I must say I do not, as every sunrise and sunset is different. Key West is breathtaking. I do travel but my Florida is home. I hope to hear more from you and would love to hear about Nigeria as I have no first-hand knowledge, and like you, thanks to Hollywood and YouTube, I have seen but never visited. Thank you again for your kind letter, and I look forward to more when possible.
Warm Regards from Florida,
Kevin Scheetz
:grinning:

https://www.pinterest.com/PerfectFLBchWed/perfect-florida-beach-sunsets/

1 Like

Welcome

2 Likes

Yes, I will be attending.

1 Like

Hi @kevscheetz it’s been a while. I have been taken aback by the workload from my boot camp. It was a tough week, with the electricity down and missing several projects to turn in.

Truly, my overarching goal is to be an entrepreneur and I hope all these prepare me to be one. Though corporate experience is valuable for an entrepreneur it’s not necessary. I’m glad to know that you’re already seeing areas to apply knowledge of the “AI for Everyone” course. I don’t really want to school for certificate sake again but around here foreign education scholarship especially to the West is a sure way to get out of this environment. I am currently researching graduate programs and institutions in North America for this :smiling_face_with_tear:

I checked the photos of Florida and it’s very beautiful. In my next send, I will find a way to add pictures of my area in Nigeria as well. What are some of the popular educational institutions/companies in Florida?

Thanks for your time. I hope business is kicking fine, my regards to your son.

1 Like

Hey,

It’s good to hear from you. I’m glad you finished boot camp, but I’m sorry to hear about the outages. I’m sure it keeps you busy. However, it sounds like a tremendous door opener for you. You sound very knowledgeable. I wish you luck in your job search.

It would be awesome to see pictures of your area. I will do the same for you. Most of the pictures of my surroundings are from Hurricanes family events etc. Florida is a beautiful state, but we do get hurricanes from time to time. Most native Floridians are accustomed to them and know what to do in a given situation. I was born and raised here. I couldn’t imagine living anywhere else.

I’m glad we are keeping in touch. I hope it continues. I have never met anyone from Nigeria on the internet. It’s cool talking and learning about other places as it gives me a better perspective of the world.
Take care and keep in touch.
Kevin

1 Like

How have you been? I think it’s time for me to take the next course. So, I how we can keep in touch. I would love have some Q&A when I get into the next level.
Kevin

1 Like

Hi Kevin. Sorry, I have been out for some time now I have been experiencing epileptic power. I hope you’re doing well though. I’m excited about the opportunity to have the Q&A with you. I will be starting the Math for Machine Learning course tomorrow and we can have our retrospect weekly maybe during the weekend. I am flexible and can work with any time that works for you factoring in your business engagements.

I attached a link to an exploration of Mount Patti, a mountain in my locale. The mountain houses Federick Lugard’s first settlement in Nigeria. We are a small town but the sight from the mountain top is nice. Hope you enjoy it.

1 Like

Thank you, I will check it out.

Sorry. I forgot to add the link. Here, https://www.unravellingnigeria.com/post/mount-patti-a-hiker-s-paradise