Unable to submit Week 4 assignment

The notebook is read-only and so it is not letting me save or submit the assignment. What should I do?

Hi Aahil! I’m sorry for this experience. We’ve already reported it to Coursera and they are looking into it. In the meantime, can you try this and see if your notebook is graded?

1. From the blank notebook, click File -> Open.
  2. Tick the running notebook.
  3. Click Shutdown then Duplicate.
  4. Rename the old notebook (any filename).
  5. Rename the duplicate to the original filename (basically, just remove the -Copy1 string).
  6. Open this newly renamed notebook.
  7. You should be able to save this and also see the submit button after a minute.

You might see an error about checkpoints failing. I think that’s okay because that’s related to the permissions of the hidden .ipynb_checkpoints folder. That is not needed for grading.

Hope this works while the fix is ongoing. Please let me know. Thank you!

1 Like

@chris.favila I’m having the same problem. However, it is not allowing me to duplicate the notebook. Is there another directory I save it to?

Hi Bill. Do you see the duplicate when you refresh your browser? A learner reported that the error when duplicating can be ignored. There’s also a banner topic with another solution from Coursera. Can you also try that? Thank you!

No. I do not see a duplicate after refreshing my browser :frowning:

Can you message me your lab ID? You can click the Help button on the upper right. Lab ID is at the bottom. Thanks and sorry for this experience!

It erased my work when I did File->Open Grrr…
Luckily I saved a backup in a different directory. So, I can I copy and paste my work. Do I need to rerun the notebook?

I’m not seeing the lab ID. Can you send me a screenshot? Also, how do I send it to you directly?

Thanks,
Bill

I found the lab ID. It is in the help menu.

Hi, after shutdown when i clicked on Duplicate it says : Permission denied: release/W4A1/Building_your_Deep_Neural_Network_Step_by_Step-Copy1.ipynb

What to do now?

Hi and welcome to the community! It seems you are also working on a different specialization. This one is for TF-AT. Kindly browse through the topics in DLS for more specific instructions. For example, this one. Hope this helps!

1 Like

I’m having the same issue as everyone else here. Has anything been resolved in regards to this? I cannot duplicate the file and when I reload, it does not show a new copy.

Hi Arnav! Welcome to the community, and sorry for this experience! We just got an update from Coursera and they said the issue should now be fixed. Can you try refreshing your workspace and see if the notebook can now be saved and submitted? Thank you!