What defines an AI company

Andrew Ng refers to a term frequently in week 1 as “AI company”… well, what’s define an “AI company”? Do an organization have to be an “AI company” to use AI?
I work as an Enterprise Architect for a fortune 100 company in US. How can I steer my rog in a meaningful way towards that.
Thoughts?

Hi @kbhowmick , Thanks for using discourse. The idea of a “AI company” encompasses businesses that use AI as a core component of their business strategy or provide AI-based products and services. These businesses may create and implement AI algorithms, create AI-powered software, or employ AI to automate processes and decision-making or simply could be companies researching AI.

However, an organisation does not have to be a “AI company” in order to use AI. Many businesses use AI technologies to improve their products and services, automate processes, and gain insights from data. A healthcare organisation, for example, might use AI to analyse medical data and discover trends, whereas a financial services company might use AI to detect fraud and improve risk management.

In short, any company can use AI as a tool to improve their operations or products or services, but an “AI company” specifically focuses on AI as an integral part to propagate or augment their business.

As for how to steer your enterprise/company towards becoming an “AI Company” so to speak. This is discussed by Andrew Sir in further lectures as part of the AI Transformation Playbook. As an enterprise Architect you first could gain on understanding of AI and how it could help automate/propagate or augment your specific business needs. Then you could partner with data scientists to assess technical readiness and implement your precise solutions.

Hope this answers your query

2 Likes

I would be shocked if a company has gotten large enough to be in the Fortune 100 without extensive use of analytics. In 2022, the company currently at #100, Massachusetts Mutual Life, had revenue of 29.6 billion USD. They are not an AI company, but they certainly are an analytics company, and one can easily imagine how some of their risk models and marketing channels could incorporate machine learning/AI if they aren’t already doing so.

Enterprise Architects are all about transformation, right? Articulating the map from as-is to to-be? Look for processes or decisions that are currently done manually or using traditional analytics, and consider how they might be more efficient and effective using AI. Build a business case. Take the family on a nice trip with your big bonus :sunglasses:

I believe that he wanted to provide a few basic conceptual ideas on corporate mindset.
I was surprised as how “on the spot” it was with the university I work for (as a baaaadddd example of how not to do things). And it gave me great ideas to introduce the AI 4 Project Mng to my students, aligning it to PM-prone companies - the proper environment to grow knowledge and expertise.