Permission denied

Continuing the discussion from DLS Course 4: When Saving: "Permission denied: W4A1/Face_Recognition.ipynb":

Continuing the discussion from [DLS Course 4: When Saving: Permission denied: W4A1/Face_Recognition.ipynb"], (DLS Course 4: When Saving: "Permission denied: W4A1/Face_Recognition.ipynb"):

I also encountered this problem with this assignment: "Permission denied: W4A1/Face_Recognition.ipynb. The file could not be saved automatically, nor could we save the assignment we wrote manually, which resulted in a blank version of the assignment we finally submitted. This seems to be caused by the fact that we don’t have permission to rewrite this file, so I hope to fix it soon. Thanks guys!

1 Like

Hello @jptian2518!

As you know several students facing this issue. We already informed the course staff to look into the issue as soon as possible. We are extremely sorry for the inconvenience caused to you because of this error. We understand how frustrating this is but we have no other option but to wait. Sadly, we don’t know the exact time when the problem will be resolved but hope they will resolve it soon.

Your patience will be highly appreciated. Once they resolve the issue, we will inform you.

Best,
Saif.

1 Like

Hi!
I am having the same problem with ResNet lab (Course 4 W2A1).
I reckon this problem affects all lab notebooks, so will it be solved for all notebooks simultaneously, or we have to report each lab one by one?

1 Like

Hi everyone! Sorry for the delay.

Kindly try this:

1. From the blank notebook, click File -> Open.
  2. Tick the running notebook.
  3. Click Shutdown then Duplicate.
  4. Rename the old notebook (any filename).
  5. Rename the duplicate with the original filename (basically, just remove the -Copy1 string).
  6. Open this newly renamed notebook.
  7. You should be able to save this and also see the submit button after a minute.

You “might see an error about checkpoints failing. I think that’s okay because that’s related to the permissions of the hidden .ipynb_checkpoints folder. That is not needed for grading as far as I know. The changes should persist in the actual notebook itself even if they see that error. I submitted the notebook and got the expected grade.”

@Galib_Alili @jptian2518

Best,
Saif.

1 Like

Is this a temporary fix? @saifkhanengr Meaning if I start working this way, will my progress now be saved if a future fix is in line?

1 Like

It is temporary. Still working on the issue…

Duplicate does not work. I get the error Permission Denied. I think the issue is that we don’t have write permissions in this directory.

1 Like

We informed the staff about the Duplicate Failed. We are extremely sorry for the inconvenience.

Best,
Saif.

1 Like

Hello,

This solution does not work for me as the duplicate and rename options give me the same error: permission denied

best regards,

Wacim

1 Like

Try the method in the pinned banner at the top of the thread.

1 Like

I have the same problem and try to figure it out in different ways. But still has the same problem. Hopes this can fix soon. When the problem is fixed, will we be informed? Thanks

1 Like

issue: Premission denied
I re-done the whole notebook couple of times and tried all the suggested solutions but still have the same problem

1 Like

In my opinion, we deserve an extension to the specialization subscription because the problem is delaying us for several days and we will not have time to complete the course.

3 Likes

Hi is this issue fixed? I could not submit my assignment due to permission denied.

1 Like

Hi,

We informed the Coursera staff about it and waiting to hear from them. We are extremely sorry for the inconvenience. Please wait for a while.
Meanwhile, you can try this but it works for some and didn’t work for others.

@Gregory_Axelrod @Reda_Akdim @Ding_Qinxu @Wacim_Nefzi @pkumar13 @Rochish @Galib_Alili @jptian2518

Best,
Saif.

1 Like

same for me. Solution offered in this thread does not work:

An error occurred while duplicating "release/W1A2/Convolution_model_Application.ipynb".

Permission denied: release/W1A2/Convolution_model_Application-Copy1.ipynb
1 Like

I literally wasted 3 hrs in doing assignment. At the end it is not saving :smiling_face_with_tear: Persmisson Denied error

1 Like

Solution in linked thread worked for me:
rename the release folder and recreate the structure release/WxAy
then get latest version from update lab

1 Like

Permission denied: release/W2A2/Logistic_Regression_with_a_Neural_Network_mindset-Copy1.ipynb

1 Like

please helpppp Permission denied: release/W2A2/Logistic_Regression_with_a_Neural_Network_mindset-Copy1.ipynb

1 Like